The other evening myself and some pals met with Colonel O’Truth to view (finally) his magnificent Victorian Science Fiction (VSF) creations that have caused so much interest on various wargaming fora in recent months (that’s the Colonel and some of his magnificent machines in the picture above – click the pic for a closer look).
The Colonel has been trying to exhort Scott, Greg and myself to take up VSF gaming with GASLIGHT rules. So far, while interested, I haven’t fully engaged with the idea. But seeing the Colonel’s models up close and personal the other night, the interest is getting a little more intense! After all, to start with all I need is 30 figures and a machine or two. Surely that’s manageable, isn’t it?!
I’m dithering like mad on what VSF force to do, though. Up till now I’ve been vaguely inclined towards French, but I just can’t find a range of 28mm French figures that really ‘does it’ for me.
My criteria are:
- a real 19th century French ‘look’ (this doesn’t necessarily mean realism, but something more indefinable, with posing, character and panache that match what I *imagine* when I think of late 19th century French!);
- lots of active poses (ie not a range of packs of duplicated figures; and doing more than just marching);
- excellent sculpting (again, somewhat indefinable – but for me this means a little bit chunky, good features and detail, no awkward arms, clean looking casting);
- red trousers. Oh yes, definitely red trousers!
OK, so I’m not asking for much, am I?
So what have I found so far?
- If the ‘Foundry’ filibuster French Foreign Legion weren’t so Mexican-ish, I’d go for them, as they otherwise meet my criteria.
- ‘Artizan’ are almost there for me, but not quite. Maybe if I see their latest figs when the pics arrive on their site?
- ‘Mirliton’ almost match, especially with the French ‘look’, but are a little slim and gawky by the website.
- ‘Askari’ – for me the website photos don’t enthuse me, even though the subject matter looks good.
- And ‘Perry’ have otherwise perfect legionnaires in their Carlist range, but a little bit too early in the century for me – though I am tempted.
Any other options out there for VSF French?
Or are there any other late 19th century nations which fit my criteria (though possibly not red trousers!). Other than British, Prussian or Bavarian, Chinese and Japanese, which my pals are already taking.
PS: If ‘Empress Minatures’ made French, then they’d be perfect, as I love their NZ Wars range. Actually, I have toyed with doing a Māori VSF force with flying waka (inticately carved and decorated war-canoes) and a floating pa!